5 Replies Latest reply on 12-Oct-2017 9:25 PM by kmaggirias

Part One -- Discussion #3

teachontario.team

What do you think of the first few chapters?

• Re: Part One -- Discussion #3
            christygarrity

What do you think of the first 2 chapters?

I think the first 2 chapters really peeked my interest and alleviated my fears that I could never understand coding. It was written in plain language that those new to coding could clearly understand. I think this is a great starter book. I was worried that it would be for the upper grades (not for Kindergarten) but I can make connections to my classroom. (Reprint from my Question 1 response):

Coding is simply the process of creating logical instructions. I can do this. I did have some fear of again, breaking the traditional educational culture. I have done this before and will again. Our new role is to share what expert knowledge I gain and model curiosity about what I don’t know. I can do this too! Encouragement: when the fear of tackling coding in your classroom rears up, take a deep breath and do it anyway. Just do it! I wear Nike’s everyday. I can do this. Growth= how we use technology. Create instead of consume. (Interesting) Teaching coding=teaching thinking. Need a growth mindset. Play is crucial to learning. I (we) do this. Break old patterns and increase innovation to change the world. This is my mission! 21st Century jobs will be Tech based driven. I have to do my part to plant the seed and nurture this learning in my classroom, school and beyond.

kmaggirias

Hi Christy,

You have a great positive attitude towards learning and coding! The first two chapters gave me a lot to think about. For myself, I found the first two chapters setting the tone for the importance of embracing coding and the importance of the environment that we create for our students. I found that coding provides many opportunities for learning and above all, that we can do this!!! Coding provides opportunities to develop many skills, particularly problem solving, thinking and collaboration. I envision and make connections to the integration of coding into the curriculum through the same lens that we have integrated play into the FDK program. A play based curriculum, supports and allows students to develop 21st century skills.

mattlet2002

The first two chapters not only showed the importance of coding, but also the struggle that we face in bringing 21st century skills and technology into our schools.  Teaching is a career that continues to need to a minimal amount of technological knowledge.  This impacts our students because there is a disconnect between what we need to know to do our jobs and what skills students will need to do their jobs in the future.  It's tough to teach students if we can't relate to it.

The second chapter also relates to the career pathway initiative that exists in many schools.  The All About Me portfolios and career planning could be integrated into lessons on coding.  The dark side of coding balances out the different salaries listed at the beginning of the chapter.

kmaggirias

Hi Matt,

These two chapters gave me a lot to think about and I think that trying to teach students the skills they need for jobs that don't exist yet, is an absolute challenge. I believe that through the 21st Century competencies, demonstrating the importance of problem solving and learning to challenge each others thoughts and ideas is a great start.

I find it can be challenging for us, when we are faced with challenges, particularly questioning and reflecting on our own pedagogy and how technology will take shape in our instruction. My challenge is how do we help teachers get beyond our traditional roles and instruction and help them view the endless possibilities that technology and specifically coding can bring into our classrooms?

Kelly